As I posted a few weeks ago, the CSA is not just “A’Coming“, it is HERE! Our Farm share official started three weeks ago tomorrow. Wow how time flies! We missed our second share because we were off gallivanting through Chicago and Indiana for my brother’s Law School graduation! Our first share consisted of:
- 1 Pint Strawberries, plus pick as many as you want from the field (we picked about 5 or 6lbs)
- 1.5 lbs lettuce, spinach, arugula mix
- 1/2 lb garlic scallions
- 1lb popcorn on the cob
- 2 seedlings
Not a bad haul! As the title of this post indicates, we did some cooking with the garlic scallions. We froze a big bag of strawberries and ate the rest. The popcorn will be used over the summer, the seedlings (peppers) have been planted, and the lettuce/spinach/arugula combo has provided some tasty salads over the past 1.5 weeks!
But onto garlic scallions. What are they? Garlic Scallions (or green garlic) is young garlic which is harvested before the garlic cloves have fully matured. It resembles a green scallion in that you get a long green stalk and a small bulb. You can eat the stalk, leaves, and the bulb. The taste is similar to mild-mannered garlic. It is a tad sweeter and a lot less bitter. For more information on garlic scallions/green garlic, click here.
Well, we found a recipe for a garlic panko-breaded chicken breast, so we altered it a bit and viola! Delicious dinner. Enjoy 🙂
1 Large Garlic Scallion, washed and diced/minced (minced is better but we were lazy)
1/4C Olive Oil
1.5C Panko Bread Crumbs
1lb Chicken Breast Tenders, Trimmed
1. Preheat oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Warm the olive oil and minced/diced garlic scallion over low heat (you don’t want to fry the garlic scallions). The goal is to infuse the olive oil with the garlic scallion flavor. Warm for 5-10minutes (the longer the better).
3. Place Panko Crumbs in a bowl large enough to fit each piece of chicken breast.
4.Dip one piece of chicken into the oil mixture (it’s ok if garlic scallions are attached to the chicken- that adds to the taste!). Then dip the piece of chicken in the bread crumbs. It helps to place the chicken into the bowl and then scoop the bread crumbs to cover the chicken to ensure full coat. Place the chicken on an ungreased pan. Repeat process for remaining pieces of chicken.
5. Bake in oven for 25-30minutes, flipping once about 10 minutes in.