Continuing on with our new dish a week, we headed off to pork-land. We found a barbacoa pork recipe and adjusted it slight to come up with our new dish of the week! We made this recipe in the crock pot over the weekend and then used the pork throughout the week for lunches– perfect!
2.3-2.5lb. pork tenderloin, fat trimmed
6oz. coke zero (yes, coke zero!)
1/4c. brown sugar
garlic, pepper, salt
8oz. coke zero
2 jalapeno peppers, diced (you could use canned chilies)
8oz. crushed tomatoes (you could use straight tomato sauce too)
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, diced
1/3c brown sugar (unpacked)
garlic, cumin, cayenne, red chili pepper, salt, pepper to taste
1. Season the pork with salt, pepper, and garlic and place into the crock pot (we just covered all sides
with salt, pepper, garlic)
2. Add 6oz. coke zero and 1/4c brown sugar. Stir and let sit and marinade between a few hours and overnight (we waited overnight).
3. Add the 1/4 cup water and turn crock pot on high for 3-4 hours (we waited 4). Remove the pork from the crock pot and discard any excess liquid. Shred the pork and set aside.
4. Combine the 8oz coke zero, the peppers and chilies, the tomatoes, the brown sugar, and the seasonings in the crock pot. Stir a few times.
5. Add the shredded pork to the sauce and stir to mix. Cook on high for another 1-2 hours (we waited 2). Adjust salt, pepper, and other seasonings, to taste.